Built at 1830 by the British Commissioner Sir Frederick Adam in the beggining of the peninsula of Kanoni opposite the ruins of Paleopolis, it is a nice building but not as big and magnificent as the Achilleion palace.
It has well laid out gardens surrounded by old Greek monuments of ancient Corfu and spectacular sea views of all the eastern coast of Corfu island.
After the union with Greece in 1864 was granted to the former royal family and was used as their summer residence.
Today it belongs to the Greek state and is used by the Municipality of Corfu, mainly for authoritative or festive meetings.
Mon Repos has been transformed into a museum and a historic place with a large park full of archaeological treasures which can be visited by all.
Is an ideal place for pleasant walks under the shade of very large and old trees.
One of the most interesting exhibitions is the collection of old Corfu photographs most interesting and informative.
The museum is open to the public on weekdays from 8 am to 7 pm for a small fee of 4€ while there is usually no charge on weekends.
Also you can buy a combined ticket which include visits to Mon Repos, to Asian museum of art in Corfu town, to Achilleion palace and some other places.
There are buses connecting Paleopolis with Corfu town every 40 minutes but the distance is small and can be made on foot in just 15 minutes.
The telephone number for further details is +30 26610 41369.
Except a front plaque at the entrance there is nothing else in the building that relate it to the birth of Duke of Edinburgh at 1921.